Warehouse Avenue was a shorefront road in Bath Beach that curved along Gravesend Bay to Coney Island Creek. The piers on the bay had warehouses for the fishing fleet that operated from that location. When Coney was subdivided, Warehouse Avenue was extended into Coney Island along the bed of what became West 22nd Street. The Warehouse Avenue name was used on West 22nd until around 1929. The Belt Parkway replaced Warehouse Avenue on the Bay in 1940.