In 1919, the subway was extended to Stillwell Avenue and an expanded facility opened on the site of an older railroad terminal servicing four elevated lines feeding into the newly consolidated Brooklyn Rapid Transit subway system, as well as a number of street car lines (a fifth elevated-only line also ran to Stillwell). This postcard view shows the station soon after its opening. The red tower and walkway on the left side of the image are part of the Norton's Point trolley line, which ran via Railroad Avenue to Sea Gate. The station building in the foreground was subsequently razed and replaced with a larger, terra cotta-fronted entrance which is now part of the facade of the reconstructed Stillwell Avenue subway station. In the background, the Brooklyn Unions gas tanks on the Coney Island Creek can be seen.
The back of the card includes this description:
There are five elevated and ten surface car lines running direct to Coney Island from the New York side of Brooklyn Bridge. During the summer, Express trains consisting of six cars leave the Bridge Entrance every five minutes, the run to Coney Island being made in 35 minutes.