Study Collection

In the early 1920's the Boardwalk was constructed and the beach expanded through filling. Many structures along the beach were torn down, and other formerly beach-front properties now found themselves several hundred feet inland. A few years after...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: B/W photograph
"These sailors who like to take their fun near the ocean take their dates for a ride on the Auto-Whip at one of Coney Island's amusement parks."
Coney's Lights Go On Again After WWII ended, the blackout of Coney Island was lifted.
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Publicity photograph
"Ray De Mott (atop pole in foreground) checks the guide ropes for the Parachute Jump at Steeplechase Park, Coney Island, N.Y. The fun arena opens officially on May 21, although a part of it has been opened weekends since February 5."
A worker checks that guide ropes for the Parachute Jump are ready for opening day, 1949, at Steeplechase Park.
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Publicity photograph
Sea Gate Beach 4, anti-aircraft battery foundations
The two concrete structures in the photograph are World War II era foundations for anti-aircraft batteries. In the 1940's, when the foundations were constructed, the sand level reached nearly to the top of the structures. Beach filling operations in...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Under the Redevelopment Plan Photograph of the Pavilion of Fun and facade of Steeplechase Park
"Under the Redevelopment Plan Coney Island, N.Y. famed Steeplechase Park would be demolished to make way for housing to alleviate a very urgent need in the area. This view shows the beginning of the Steeplechase property at West 16th Street. It is...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Publicity photograph
Looking north east from Boardwalk to the newly built Half Moon Hotel. In the foreground McLochlin's West End baths (a bathhouse). "The one structure that defined the New Coney Island more than anything elese was the Half Moon Hotel... Described as...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
A dark ride located in Deno's Wonder Wheel Park, near Jones Walk on the Bowery, in the shadow of the Wonder Wheel. "Billed as the world's only indoor-outdoor dark ride and the 'longest, largest ride in Coney Island', Spook-A-Rama was the brainchild...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Taken from Surf Avenue looking north west. To the east of the main entrance to Luna Park is Kisters Hotel and Restaurant. The building survived numerous fires, and the demise of its famous neighbor, until the 1970's. "For nearly a hundred years, the...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Brooklyn & Queens Transit trolley 2543 on Sea Gate line, traveling west. Luna Park entrance and the B&B Carousell can be seen in the background right. The Boston's Hotel building (built 1907) is behind the trolley. By this time it had ceased...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Trolley (Brooklyn & Queens Transit 2534) on Sea Gate line (Surf Avenue) passing Luna Park. The Kisters building is also visible. "For nearly a hundred years, the Kister Building served as Coney's 'clubhouse.' In 1895, Fred Kister bought a small...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph