Thunderbolt, The (1925-2000)

The Thunderbolt roller coaster was built in 1925 and operated until 1982. Famous as the inspiration for "The House Under the Roller Coaster" in Woody Allen's film "Annie Hall", the coaster steadily decayed after its closing. In 2000, with Keyspan...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Thunderbolt Demolition
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
The Thunderbolt roller coaster was built in 1925 and operated until 1982. Famous as the inspiration for "The House Under the Roller Coaster" in Woody Allen's film "Annie Hall", the coaster steadily decayed after its closing. In 2000, with Keyspan...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Thunderbolt Demolition
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Thunderbolt Demolition Parachute Jump is visible in the background.
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Coney Island amusement district, looking west from the AstroTower. Stauch's Baths and the Wonder Wheel can be seen on the left. The Tornado and Thunderbolt roller coasters are visible as is the Bobsled ride and the Abe Stark Skating Rink.
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Thunderbolt Demolition Parachute Jump is visible in the background
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Thunderbolt Demolition
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Thunderbolt Demolition 01
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Relatives lived under the Thunderbolt
Harold Kramer's great aunt and uncle, Molly and George Moran, owned the Thunderbolt roller coaster and lived in the house under its tracks. Harold remembers Molly and George just laughing when the coaster shook their house since it was "...
Content type: Oral History Item