Coney Island in the 1920s

In the early 1920's the Boardwalk was constructed and the beach expanded through filling. Many structures along the beach were torn down, and other formerly beach-front properties now found themselves several hundred feet inland. A few years after this photograph was taken, in 1925, the Thunderbolt roller coaster was constructed around, and through, the old hotel.

As the building boom of the 1920's progressed buildings sprang up on the new Boardwalk concealing the older structures behind. The Kensington, hidden by the Lido building in front and surrounded by a working roller coaster was largely forgotten until the 1970s and 80s when the Lido was demolished and the Thunderbolt ceased operations.

The Kensington was demolished in November 2000 along with the Thunderbolt.