Photography collection

The Thunderbolt roller coaster was built in 1925 and operated until 1982. Famous as the inspiration for "The House Under the Roller Coaster" in Woody Allen's film "Annie Hall", the coaster steadily decayed after its closing. In 2000, with Keyspan...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
View of the Bowery, c. 1960s
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Station arcade coffee shop "The Islander"
This photo was taken around 5 pm at the Stillwell Avenue station in Coney Island. A $250 million renovation of the station began in 2001, two years after this photo was taken. 
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
The Shore Theater, looking North from Surf Avenue
The Shore Theater opened in 1925 as a movie and vaudeville house. It closed in the 1970's after operating as a porn movie house and was purchase by its current owner, Kansas Fried Chicken king Horace Bullard. Bullard's hope that the Shore Theater...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Photograph
Affordable housing stock built by the Astella Development Corporation
The Astella Development Corporation formed in response to urban renewal projects in Coney Island. Originally a neighborhood group concerned about the City's plans to raze their mostly Italian neighborhood, Astella officially became a Development...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Photograph by © Charles Denson Jimmy McCullough, former owner of the B&B Carousell, poses with his wife and daughters in front of the historic ride. Built in 1919 at the Coney Island factory of William Mangels, the B&B Carousell was the...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
The Wonder Wheel has been continuously operational since its completion in 1920. It is currently owned and operated by the Vourderis family.
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
The Surf Avenue Childs Restaurant was built in 1917.
Child's Restaurant at Surf Avenue and West 12th Street.
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph
In 2006, as the culmination of a $5 million rehabilitation of the tower, lighting artist Leni Schwendinger was commissioned to transform the Parachute Jump into, according to Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, "a beacon of light for this...
Content type: Collection Item
Collection type: Documentary photograph