Interview Highlight Bookmarks
Morris Egert moved to Coney Island with his family in the early 1950's from Paterson, New Jersey to open a food stand on 16th Street across from Steeplechase Park. As recent immigrants from Poland, they served chopped liver, gefilte fish and knishes until a friendly bait store owner in the adjacent stand helped them adapt their menu to draw more customers. She took them shopping for new ingredients and taught them how to make the pizza and sausage and peppers that became their biggest sellers. A life-long businessman, Morris easily recalls the prices, products and other details about the busy life of a food stand owner in the 1950's.