The Coney Island History Project’s free exhibition center will be open for Labor Day Weekend, including Monday, from 1 – 7 PM, for our last weekend of the summer season. Stop by and take a selfie with Cy, the Spook-A-Rama Cyclops, and our original Steeplechase Horse. Also on view is a special exhibition of photography by Barbara Rosenberg and Coney Island’s oldest surviving artifact, the 1823 Toll House sign. It dates back to the days when the toll for a horse and rider to “the Island” was five cents.
After Labor Day, Deno’s Wonder Wheel Park and Luna Park remain open weekends and school holidays through the end of October. The History Project's outdoor exhibitions at Deno's are on display in the lower park adjacent to the Wheel during park hours.
A new permanent exhibit of history panels celebrating the 60th anniversary of Astroland is in front of the Astroland Rocket, directly across from the bumper cars. You can also see an exhibit of colorful history banners telling the remarkable story of the Wonder Wheel and the family that operates Deno's Wonder Wheel Park. The banners are located on the Wheel's walkway adjacent to the History Project, as well as below Deno's Phoenix Roller Coaster on West 12th Street. The exhibits are free and on view through October 30 during park hours. Hours of operation are subject to change depending on weather conditions.
Stay tuned for announcements of free events sponsored by the Coney Island History Project in September and October!
Add new comment